Friday, June 17, 2016

Celebrating my Mission of Love

By Sr. Marie Flowers

This past weekend I had the best day of my life!!  The many circles of my life all collided in a celebration of love as I professed my perpetual vows of poverty, chastity and obedience as a Sister of Charity of Nazareth.   Surrounded in the church and connected via live webcast to sisters, family and friends around the world, I proclaimed my perpetual YES to God's invitation.



As I've reflected on this commitment, I prefer the term perpetual vows over final vows. It's not like a final exam in school where you show what knowledge or skill has been mastered. My commitment is not finite.   The commitment is perpetual into the unknown future.  For me, perpetual means each day for the rest of my existence here on earth and in heaven, I commit myself in love, to love, to be love.  

A few months back I had the privilege of gathering with our Future of Charity group for a weekend of sharing and deepening of our relationships.  During our closing prayer, we gave to each other and received from each other a blessing. The song lyrics playing in the background were "I send you out on a mission of love..."  In planning my vow liturgy, I wanted to concretely witness my mission of love, so I borrowed Jesus' model and washed the feet of my brother and my community provincial. 


How I'd love to know what the future holds and what plans God has.  My perpetual yes to this mission of love, calls me to trust that God's mysterious plan for a future full of hope will unfold in new and surprising ways.  I am so grateful to be on this amazing journey! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Once our admin it approves it, you will see it posted.