Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Transitions

Dear faithful blog readers,

You may remember that a few months ago, we asked our bloggers to respond to a question, and we posted the answers here for you to read them!  We're doing it again, and this time, since change is in the air with back-to-school all around, the question is about transition.  We asked:

What helps you in times of transition?  What is the best tool you've got in your "transition toolbox"?  


And this is what the Sisters said:

"Gratitude." (Annie Klapheke)

"Discernment about one's own enthusiasm for a 'next step' is crucial to any transition.  Enthusiasm breeds creativity and an attitude that desires to initiate growth."  (Laura Coughlin)

"In times of transition, it's helpful to keep committed to what regulates myself.  Example: prayer, quiet, exercise, reading, artwork, cooking, listening to music, calling one true friend to talk.  Transition can be hard but it's a reality in life, as we are always in and out of transition.  I believe staying faithful to what keeps you, you is vital to surviving times of transition!" (Mallorie Gerwitz)

"Flexibility." (Rejane Cytacki)

"My tool is this quote from Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, S.J.:
'Above all, trust in the slow work of God... We are quite naturally impatient in everything to reach the end without delay. We should like to skip the intermediate stages. We are impatient of being on the way to something unknown, something new. And yet it is the law of all progress that it is made by passing through some stages of instability, and that it may take a very long time. ... Only God could say what this new spirit gradually forming within you will be. Give Our Lord the benefit of believing that his hand is leading you, and accept the anxiety of feeling yourself in suspense and incomplete.'" (Denise Morris)

"One of the best tools I have in my transition tool kit is the saying, 'Go with the flow!' I use this saying so many times as it reminds me that things don't always happen how I want them to happen...but I can be aware of what's going on and go with it."  (Carlette Gentle)

"When transition makes me feel off-center, it's important for me to stay rooted in prayer.  I love to sit with Psalm 64:10, 'Be still and know that I am God'  and often do the 'backward' meditation:  'Be still and know that I am God...Be still and know that I am...Be still and know...Be still...Be.'"  (Tracy Kemme)

And last, a thought from one of our brand new bloggers:
If I had one tool in my transition toolbox, I would choose support. Support to me means that someone cares for me in their actions and desires happiness in my life. Something that sticks in my mind when I think of transition is Ecclesiastes 3:1-4; "There is a time and a season for everything..." Sure enough that is almost the first quote from Joyce Rupp's, OSM book, Praying Our Goodbyes, which I read during my recent move from New Orleans to Kentucky. It was comforting to read Rupp's words: 'Goodbye was a blessing of love...never be alone.' 
And my favorite from Rupp was, "We cannot keep you from this journey." A good example I can share with you is my time at St. Rita in New Orleans, LA. I was the PE teacher and also served on an unofficial administration team of three (principal, coach and myself). We were like the three musketeers! When the time came for me to leave they struggled and tried hard to keep me by giving me raises, places to stay and even providing me a vehicle. I had to sit them down and explain to them that I was in transition and that the one thing I needed most from them was support. I did not need them to find ways to keep me at St. Rita for another year. They too were in transition and I had to be their support system as well. Once we agreed to give support we became stronger in friendship. I am blessed to have had the experiences of transitions throughout my life; while they may be difficult I know that I have support holding me up in faith, love and joy! (Melissa Fisackerly)

We hope this is nourishing for you, whatever moment you may be living right now on your journey.  In the comments, share with us: what is in your transition tool box?  Many blessings, friends!

-The Blog Team 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Once our admin it approves it, you will see it posted.