Thursday, October 11, 2018

Mercy

By Sr. Meg Kymes, SC Federation Under 10 Years Vocation

      Click HERE to learn more about Meg

      Click HERE to learn more about the SC Federation

In last Monday’s Gospel (Luke 10:25-37) a lawyer asked Jesus, “Who is my neighbor?” Jesus’ response told the parable of the Good Samaritan then asked the lawyer about who was neighbor to the man who was beaten. The lawyer replied, “The one who treated him with mercy." Then Jesus said to him, "Go and do likewise." 

My parish’s pastor gave the homily, explaining that during Jesus’ time a neighbor was thought of as anyone who lived in your faith community. Father proceeded to explain that what Jesus was calling his followers to, and now us to today, was a broader idea of neighbor as including Gentiles (non-Jewish people). For today’s interpretation this would include non-Christians: Muslims, Hindus, Atheists, etc. Today in a world that is so divided along so many lines this call to “Go and do likewise” is more needed than ever. We are called to look beyond labels and see our neighbor no matter what and respond in mercy.

For me that call does not just apply to my ministry to people coming home from jail or prison but to my own Sisters as well. At times I only see the little foibles that annoy or anger me and not my Sister or neighbor who is worthy of mercy and love. However as a follower of Christ I am called to see all of his loved ones as he does. When these times of shortcomings occur, I beg for our Lord’s’ mercy through prayer and the Sacraments. Praise God for the gift of our Faith!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Once our admin it approves it, you will see it posted.