Friday, June 9, 2017

Bearers of Hope

By Sr. Meg Kymes, SC Federation Under 10 Years Vocation

      Click HERE to learn more about Meg


A few weeks ago, one of my Sisters told this story of a recent experience at her ministry.  While visiting an elderly woman, the woman asked her, “What do you think of me?”  My Sister, taken aback, said to the woman, “I believe you are a generous, kind, loving person, who loves our Blessed Mother.”  The woman replied, “I hoped you’d say that.  I wanted to know if you would do the eulogy for my memorial so people could know I am a good person.”  As I was preparing to write this post, I thought of this story.  I also was reminded of my students who have recently received their First Communion.  In class we have discussed at length how as Christians we are called to bring Christ to others.  One of my students put it this way, “I’m so glad I got to have my First Communion because it keeps me closer to Jesus and makes me a good Christian.”

Just like our Blessed Mother that the elderly woman loved so much, all Christians are called to be bearers of Christ, bearers of hope.  I recall a statue of the Blessed Mother we had in Seminary.  The statue had our Blessed Mother standing holding out the Baby Jesus towards the viewer.  Our Directress taught us in her lessons that we as Daughters of Charity were to be like Mary brining Jesus to those most in need.  Now, as a teacher, I teach my students that they too are called to be bearers of Christ and therefore bearers of hope to all people we meet especially people who are in need.  My Sister who visited the elderly woman too was a bearer of hope to the woman.  Sister was able to give hope to the elderly woman that someone could speak of her kindly when she was gone. 

May we all remember we are, like Mary, a bearer of hope.  O Mary conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Once our admin it approves it, you will see it posted.